1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9
There are those certain items we reach for time and time again...or if you don't, you definitely should! They are those closet staples that will get the maximum wear for your dollar, they're your must have clothes. Not only are they great for versatility in your closet, they are the basics that most all outfits start from, and they're also perfect for building a capsule wardrobe!
1. Sneakers. Sure, this piece might seem like it's only reserved for working out in, but not true. Sneakers (whether athletic or casual) are perfect for pairing with comfy t-shirt dresses, leggings, jeans, shorts...the list goes on and on.
2. A Striped Tee. I cannot even stress how much I wear striped tees. I have 2 of them - 1 in white and navy and 1 in black and white, and I get SO much use out of them. Pair them under military jackets, denim vests, turtleneck ponchos, leather jackets, practically anything. I definitely recommend one that has some special added details to it, like this adorable peplum one!
3. A Good Fitting Pair of Dark Jeans. And I prefer ankle length, but I'm vertically challenged over here. Jeans have become the new piece to pair with blouses and other dressier items that used to be reserved for skirts and dress pants. No more! Pair a dressy top with dark jeans, and it instantly dresses them up. I wear them every casual Friday and every weekend, and I would wear them the other 4 days to work too if I could!
4. Nude Heels. Oh, how I do love nude heels! They are perfect year-round. Whether you go for a dressier sandal or a more work appropriate nude pump, they are so versatile. They are great to dress up jeans or to pair with skirts and dresses. I can't tell you how many times I have searched and searched for the perfect shoe to go with an outfit and can't find anything, and then I find my nude heels. They work every time!
5. Black Pants (or Leggings!) I have seriously had this exact pair for 4 years...and I still wear them at least once a week. I wear them to work, I wear them to fly in (no belt to take off!) I wear them on the weekends sometimes too when I want to be extra casual. Pair them with the striped tee, the denim jacket, flats, and boom, you have the perfect casual but pulled together look!
6. A Denim Jacket. Pair it with dresses, skirts and blouses, tees and leggings or even jeans for a double denim look. It is the perfect layering piece. I have a bunch of sleeveless dresses, and it's just as perfect paired with them to make my look much more appropriate for spring when it's still a bit chilly out.
7. A Comfy Pair of Flats. When I'm not wearing heels, I'm probably wearing flats. It's about a 50/50 split with sneakers thrown in there some too. I live in flats when I'm traveling just like leggings (so easy to slip off!) And don't even try to tell me they aren't easier to chase a toddler in than heels at the park haha! Enough said.
8. A Plain White Tee or Button Down. All those hoodies and capes and ponchos you see me wearing...well, this is what I wear under them! I probably wear a plain white tee twice a week. They are just so easy. I love the fun little ruffle sleeve on this one to kick it up a notch.
9. A Little Black Dress. I saved the best for last. When you have any unexpected (or even expected) event to go to, this is the perfect dress to wear to it. Church, weddings, work, date night. Seriously almost anything. This pretty dress actually has floral embroidery on it, but it is still pretty subtle. I love the tie belt to add definition to the waist. This dress would be so cute paired with a denim jacket too to make your outfit look even more pulled together. Whether you choose a dressier style or a more casual style, every woman definitely needs at least one LBD in their closet!
Do you have all 9 of these staples in your closet? What other must have clothes do you recommend?